Saturday, March 27, 2010

What a ridiculously awesome week...

This has been a really good week!

I mean, most weeks for me are usually decent, but this one was one of the better ones I've had in quite a while. I was the only network tech in the office this week, and I've only been on the job for two months. But I was encouraged, because I handled the work load just fine and had multiple opportunities to practice some of the skills I've learned - and was, for the most part, successful in those opportunities! :) People have been asking me quite frequently, "How's your new job going?" I can't tell you how awesome it is to be able to reply, "I love my job." It's truly lifted my spirits and given me a renewed passion and enthusiasm for serving others, IWU, and most importantly - the Lord. Pretty awesome stuff.

I also had the opportunity to see Switchfoot in concert at IWU last night with my good friend Rachel. Those guys know how to put on an incredible show! I was screaming. I NEVER scream. Haha. I gained a new admiration for Jon Foreman's gift of writing and delivering deep, uplifting, thought-provoking lyrics in a band that's taken pride in carving its it own unique sound ever since the mid '90s. The guys in Switchfoot just seem honest and genuine - and I could tell that they truly appreciate their fans based on their interactions with us last night. Also, I think it's pretty rad that Jon and Tim still jump off amps and drum platforms in their early-mid 30s. :)

This week also gave me an opportunity to hang out/catch up with friends, both old and new. It's fun to be crazy and silly and to know that you're accepted for who you truly are. It's comforting and encouraging on so many different levels. Even if it's something as simple as eating pizza and watching episode after episode of The Office, meeting up for lunch, or grabbing some coffee. I value my friends very much, and I try hard to show them that I do. Anyone who knows me knows that I really enjoy spending quality time getting to know people one-on-one. I know not everyone is wired that way, and sometimes, it's hard to concede that the deeper, more genuine relationships that I crave with people may not always happen - but that's not about to stop me from trying. I try to make the effort, and I definitely appreciate it when others reciprocate the effort. I've realized that some friendships are seasonal, and while that does bum me out a little, it is pretty cool to see how God places certain people in your life at certain times in your life when you need them most. Awesome stuff. :)

So, yeah...it's been a good week, and I just felt like I should praise God for it publicly! And to all my friends - I appreciate each one of you very much and I pray that I can continue to become a better friend to you.

In Christ,
Mark

No comments: