Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's time to dig.

I was in my IWU work van driving to one of the buildings on campus a couple of weeks ago. I always have the radio on, and this particular morning was no exception. Lately, I've been listening to WTUR 89.7, which is Taylor University's radio station. TU broadcasts their chapel services live, and I just happened to tune in while a very familiar voice was speaking. My pastor, who is an administrator and professor at TU, was the chapel speaker. He began reading a prayer by Liam Lawton, an Irish priest and songwriter, that really spoke to me and made me reflect. Here is that prayer:

Lord,
Why is it that at the most confusing time of our lives
We have to learn the most?
We have to carry so much within
We must learn to listen
We must learn to listen

All is decision
All is choice
All is question

Help me to find friends who will accept me
Help me to be strong when difficult choices come
Help me to live with values that You value

When I am anxious
When I am hurting
When I am confused
When I am lazy
When I am troubled
When I am fearful
When I am rejected
When I am ridiculed
When I am moody
When I am misunderstood

Be with me Lord

When I am happy
When I celebrate
When I win
When I fall in love
When I pass with flying colors
When I finish my assignment
When I find my place
When I belong

Be with me Lord

Teach me understanding
Teach me compassion
Teach me empathy
Teach me respect
Teach me graciousness
Teach me forgiveness
Teach me courage
That others will find in me
What I long to be

On each new day
Bless those who love me
Bless those who teach me
Bless those who befriend me
Bless those who accept me

Bless my family and friends
All who know me

May all that I have learned
Be not in vain
For if I have never lost
I will never search again
At 26, I'm still trying to understand my place in life and where He's wanting me to go. It's confusing. It's frustrating. I flat out hate uncertainty. I can't tell you how many times I've prayed for guidance and direction with various issues in my life. I've learned that I need to stay faithful to Him during those moments of clarity as well as those times when I feel so far from Him. James 4:8 says that if we come near to Him, He will come near to us. My goal for 2011 is just that - to come near and stay near to Him. In order for God to be more real to me, I know that I need to be more real with God.

He's challenging me to dig deeper. Guess I better start digging...

No comments: